Kigamboni Urban Walk
22 October 2016
Housing stories in peri-urban areas of Dar es Salaam.
Housing remains one of the most important challenges associated to the transformation of African cities. In the last decade, the demand for adequate and accessible housing has grown exponentially due to the increased number of urban dwellers born in or searching for better opportunities in cities. The Kigamboni Urban Walk is carefully designed to bring out the stories behind current housing challenges and opportunities in one of Dar es Salaam’s most multifaceted peri urban areas.
The Kigamboni Urban walk responds to the call of the Urban October Initiative putting housing at the centre. It is the first of a series of walks and will include several stops and points of interest across Kigamboni.
• Start – Introduction to the Kigamboni Community Centre (KCC)
• Visit of Tuamoyo
• Stop at a typical Swahili house
• Walk through Bwawa la Chaboko and Tungi
• Bajaji ride to visit relevant social and technical infrastructure (market, stone quarry, DEWATS facilities, water project)
• End – Saturday show at KCC: music, acrobatics, drama, modern/traditional dance
The meeting point is at KCC Saturday 22 October 2016, the walk will start at 1:30PM. It’s a family friendly event, everyone is welcome!
Fees are 20,000 TSH (students) and 30,000 TSH (regular). The fees include refreshments, bajaji ride through Kigamboni and Satuday show entry. All fees go directly to the community.